Color Selection is very important and also a great way to add personal style and flare to your home. On the other hand, it can be a pretty intimidating factor when deciding what your finished product is going to look like.
In order to ensure that you are confident with your color selection(s), follow some of the guidelines that our customer’s found helpful before beginning the painting process.
- White ceilings will make a room appear larger because they reflect light and reduce shadows.
- In our experience, painting trim white is a safe choice. When done right, the white trim will make the colors in the room pop and it also adds a level of sophistication and warmth to the room.
- If you want to make a narrow room appear wider paint the shorter walls a darker shade than the longer walls.
- If you already have furniture picked out, select a similar color for your wall paint to tie the room together.
- When using paint samples don’t just put them against a white wall (this will cause the color to appear darker than it really is), instead place it against furniture to get a better idea of how the color actually looks.
- Lighting is a major factor that affects the color of a room. It is important that you view the color you selected under florescent and incandescent lighting as well as during daylight and night hours to see the variations the lighting produces on the color.
- Consider what type of paint finish works best for your lifestyle:
A flat/matte sheen can hide imperfections well but it is not recommended for high traffic areas in the home (bathrooms, kitchens, kids rooms, etc.) since it is harder to keep clean.
Eggshell/satin finishes are the best option for high traffic areas because they can be wiped down lightly and resist stains better than other finishes. They also have a little more luster than a flat finish.
Semi-gloss finishes will show less wear than an eggshell finish, but because they are shinier you will see more imperfections in the walls. Semi-gloss is a great choice for doors, trim and high traffic areas because of its capability to withstand cleaning.
Gloss sheens are a good choice for window trim, door trim, and furniture because of the high levels of shine. They are a great way to highlight specific elements in a room.
- If you have an open floor plan it is important to have one main color in every room and then use accent colors to show your personal style. Having one dominant color flow throughout the house will tie the rooms together. This method also works well for closed floor plans.
Color Selection is very important, but looking to maintain your paint? For information on how to maintain your paint, check Painting Tips and Maintenance Everyone Should Know.